Sunday, January 22, 2012

Easy Crockpot Vegetable Soup

One of my favorite things about winter is how much use my slow cooker gets. I'm always nervous when I don't have a recipe to follow but this time there was no need :-) This was very easy to put together and it was very good.

I used three boneless chicken thighs that I trimmed the fat from. Those went into the crockpot first. I didn't have any diced tomatoes or tomato sauce so for my base I used a 16oz jar of homemade spaghetti sauce. I canned it over the summer and it contained tomatoes, onion, garlic, and some basic seasoning. I poured that over the chicken and added 32oz of low sodium chicken stock. I mixed that up pretty good and added 3 potatoes cut into chunks and a 24oz bag of frozen mixed vegetables (carrots, corn, peas, and green beans). I put the crockpot on low and let it cook about 8 hours. Once the 8 hours passed I pulled the chicken into pieces (you just need a fork for that, it will be very tender.) I did not add any seasoning until after my first taste. I didn't want it to be too salty and since I didn't have anything to base it on I figured it was better to be safe. I ended up using 2 tsp seasoned salt, 1 tsp ground black pepper, and I didn't measure the oregano and thyme. I did goof up here though. I thought I grabbed the thyme and I really grabbed some Montreal steak seasoning. I am pretty sure there was less than a 1/2 tsp added but it might have made a difference. Regardless, the end result was quite good. I recommend tasting after each tsp of salt, so you don't go overboard. We ate it with some corn bread :-) Enjoy!

3 boneless chicken thighs w/fat trimmed
16 oz diced tomatoes (you can use plain or spice it up with diced chili's or basil & garlic)
32 oz low sodium chicken stock (you can sub Vegetable broth too, easy to make yourself!)
3 potatoes, chopped into cubes
24 oz frozen mixed vegetables (can sub fresh chopped carrots, green beans, and corn as well)
2 t seasoned salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
2 t oregano
1 t thyme

For a more tomato based soup, add tomato paste! 

No comments:

Post a Comment