Thursday, December 9, 2010

Two for One

We've had two great meals this week. I have to compliment my husband on Tuesday's dish. It's always nice to come home from work and smell something cooking. He put some seasoned chicken thighs in the crockpot with a can of cream of chicken soup. Very simple but very delicious. We then ate that over No Yolk noodles, which are basically egg noodles without the yolks (because egg yolks are really high in cholesterol even if they are good). Quick, easy, yummy meal that I didn't have to cook. Thank you, Josiah.

Yesterday, I stood in the kitchen while talking to my sister on the phone trying to figure out what to cook. She went with frozen pizza. I didn't have frozen pizza. What I did have was diced tomatos, chili beans, and canned chicken so my thoughts were chili. My problem was that I didn't have any seasoning packets, which is normally how I make chili, because let's face it, that's the easy way. I pondered this for a moment, considering my spice collection and decided I could figure out how to make chili without it. I sauteed an onion and two cloves of garlic until it was fragrant. I added the canned chicken and let that heat up with the onion/garlic mixture. The spices were fun to figure out. Side note, I built my collection up by buying a new spice every trip to the grocery store, it didn't seem as expensive that way. Here's what I decided on for the chili: smoked paprika, ground cumin, seasoned salt, cayenne pepper and (obviously) chili powder. I added those, stirring after every addition to make sure they were mixed in well, and then added two cans of diced tomatos and one can of chili beans. I turned the heat down and let it simmer for 30 minutes to let the flavors merry together. YUM!

Both of these meals were excellent for lunch the next day too!

No comments:

Post a Comment