Monday, December 27, 2010

Red Wine

 Last week my husband and I went to a swanky Christmas party in Indianapolis. As a gift, we were given this really nice bottle of merlot. I'm a fan of wine; Josiah, not so much. I opened the bottle Sunday night and enjoyed a glass. Most of you know I'm a light weight when it comes to alcohol so one glass is usually all I have. I had a glass Monday and Tuesday night and then got so caught up with Christmas preparations that I forgot all about the bottle. I was quite sad when I remembered it yesterday and realized it was no longer drinkable. However, just because I can't drink it doesn't mean I can't cook with it! This evening I made a red wine sauce with steaks. Woot! It was pretty simple: red wine, shallots, and butter added to the pan once the steaks were finished. I seasoned the steaks with soy sauce and freshly cracked pepper (no salt, since soy is salty enough!) These steaks were ribeye, an extremely good cut; I'm not sure I would try this with a tougher cut. I love them because I don't even need a knife to cut them. I made some simple fried potatoes with onion, garlic, seasoned salt and lots of pepper and broccoli. If you haven't noticed, I make broccoli a lot. I never had it as a kid because my Mom didn't like it, but I love it so I guess I'm making up for all the years I was deprived. :-)

I still have about 2 cups of wine left so I believe I will try out a red wine spaghetti sauce tomorrow night. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment