Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Meatballs in Red Wine Sauce

Round two with the Red Wine. I believe it was a success. This was slightly more complicated than most of my recipes. Well, maybe not so much complicated but time consuming. I've made meatballs before but usually I use ground turkey and I bake them. This recipe called for mixing ground beef with ground pork and ground veal. I couldn't tell you the last time I bought ground beef but I did it. I also got ground pork but I skipped the veal. (Somehow the thought of eating a baby cow is in no way appetizing to me). Anyway. The meat is mixed with fresh and dry bread crumbs, freshly grated parmesan (which is super easy to grate when you have a food processor I found out tonight, thank you Stephanie!), parsley, salt, pepper and an egg. It makes about 20 large meatballs.  These are then browned in equal part mixture of vegetable oil and olive oil. I cooked about 6 at a time on medium low heat. You have to cook them slow so the inside cooks, so it took about 12 minutes each batch. After the meatballs are all cooked the oil is discarded but the pan isn't cleaned. Add some olive oil and about a cup of chopped onion. I cooked the onion until it was translucent looking, then I added some minced garlic. After thats cooked for about 5 minutes, the heat goes up and in goes the red wine. The key here is to have the heat high enough to make the wine evaporate; you want to cook it down until there's almost no liquid left.When that's finished add a 28oz can of crushed tomatos, some more salt and pepper and I used some misc Italian seasoning here as well. The meatball then go back in the pan, put a lid on it and turn the heat down. Let it simmer about a half an hour.
Incidently, that's the perfect amount of time to get some water boiling and the spaghetti noodles cooked. The whole thing was good. My husband said it was the best spaghetti sauce I've ever made. Now, he likes his sauce very sweet. I do not. I liked the sauce but I usually don't prefer it that sweet. Nonetheless, it was fun to try something new with such good results!

No comments:

Post a Comment