Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Pork Chop Experiment | Onions and Garlic and Wine, oh my

And Shittake mushrooms! But that just wouldn't fit right in the cutesy title.

I really didn't feel like cooking tonight. In fact, after trying to convince my husband that HE could start dinner and I'd find the Bulls game (which he declared was NOT a fair trade), he started getting the pork chops seasoned for me. And he started rice. Yes, he is a good man.

I went in the kitchen and got one of the pork chops in the good old cast iron skillet. I also decided since I don't have to work for the next two days that tonight was a good night to open the bottle of wine someone gifted us with for Christmas. As I was standing there making sure the pork chop and broccoli didn't burn I thought hmm, I bet this wine would be good with these pork chops...(just another confirmation that wine makes everything better, even your thinking skills!)



I got some already chopped onions from the freezer, noticed the mushrooms and grabbed those too, and grabbed some garlic. When the first pork chop was finished, I added about a tablespoon of butter to the pan and let it melt. Then I added my onions and mushrooms. I let those cook until they were at least thawed and then I threw in about 2 tablespoons of minced garlic. The smells. Yum.













Next, I grabbed the bottle of wine. This was a pinot noir. I poured it in the skillet until it covered the bottom of the pan. I let it cook down until there was very little liquid left.

I didn't want to take any of the mix out of the pan, so I scooted it to the sides and put the second pork chop in the middle. Then, I loaded the mix on top of the pork chop and let it all cook.







Paired with broccoli and rice. (And yes, I only took half the "good" pork chop so my good man could try some of it). Man was this a crazy good experiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment