Friday, December 12, 2014

Lettuce wraps and healthy eating

So, I'm just coming off a 10 day green smoothie cleanse. If ever you're interested in doing one I recommend JJ Smith's book. Great smoothie recipes and information. It's meant to help detox your body of toxins that you ingest. It does that and also helps you lose some pounds quickly (13lbs in 10 days for me!) Here's the thing about coming off 10 days of no meat, grains, dairy, or processed sugar...some of those things you love may hurt when you try to eat them again. My aunt makes the most delicious bread for Thanksgiving. The whole family looks forward to it every year and she makes plenty for us to all eat during dinner AND take a loaf home. Ours has been wrapped up in the fridge since then. Yesterday, my first day off the smoothies, I cut into the bread. I slathered on some butter and had myself two giant slices. I then spend the rest of the evening with stomach cramps and indigestion. Sad day folks. So, that being said, I think I'm going to try to cutting wheat out of my diet. That leads us to tonight's dinner.

My husband came home with a big thing of hamburger patties. The good kind. You know the ones. They're not frozen, they're thick, and they're delicious. But wait a minute, I'm trying to not eat bread. I've seen these wraps before, I figured what the heck.

One thing I have resolved is that if I'm going to eat healthier, I'm going to make sure I have all of those healthy things I LOVE so I don't feel like I'm depriving myself of anything. I took a trip to the grocery store this afternoon and bought a few of my favorite things. I really should have take a picture of what my burger looked like, it was quite pretty. So pretty that I ate it in about 2 minutes. I'm not sure I breathed. The pic below gives you a really good idea of what mine looked like though.

I had a nice big leaf of romaine lettuce and placed my grilled burger on one end of it.(side note folks: my husband bought me a grill that goes over the stove, it's amazing. He also seasoned the burger and made it for me while I was working. I have no idea what he put on it but yum). I next added a thick slice of tomato, a thick slice of onion and a quarter of an avocado. I folded the lettuce leaf up and dug in.

Can I tell you something? How delicious is a burger in lettuce! You can actually taste the meat and all of those favorite veggies of mine. It was so good. I had left over tomato, onion, and avocado so I folded them up in another leaf and had myself a veggie wrap as a side. Just fantastic. I'm very much looking forward to this new wheatless journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment