Monday, December 29, 2014

Chicken thighs & mashed potatoes in the Crock Pot!

Like the rest of the world, I love anything I can put in the crock pot and have done when I get home. I've been a little more creative recently, coming up with  my own concoctions rather than perusing Pinterest for ideas. Today's was a huge success. It was so simple too, which is even better.

I started with chicken thighs. I just used three since we're a family of two. I rinsed them, left the skin on, and put them in the crock pot. I seasoned them with cajun seasoning, lemon pepper, and garlic powder. I usually do the seasoning while they're in the crock pot, there's less mess that way. Once seasoned, I added 1 cup of chicken broth.

Next, two large potatoes. These were big, bake potato type potatoes. I peeled them and chopped them in big chunks, I'd guess around 1 1/2 inch cubes. Nothing neat, you just need big chunks. I plopped them all on top of the chicken. To give you an idea of how large these two potatoes were, you couldn't see the chicken once they were in. I added some more garlic powder and lemon pepper and turned the crock pot on high. It cooked for 6 hours.

When I got home this evening, I turned the crock pot off and scooped out all of the potatoes. This was a little tricky because the chicken just shreds right up after cooking in the broth for so long. I put all of the potatoes in a bowl with half a stick of butter and mashed them up. You could add some milk here, but I didn't find it necessary. The potatoes have so much juice to them from the broth, that the butter was just enough. I swear these are the easiest, real mashed potatoes I've ever made.

I made some green beans as a side and that was dinner. So much flavor, so much goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment