Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Buffalo Chicken and Sweet Potato Fries

Sweet potato fries are my new favorite thing. They're delicious and when they're homemade, they're actually quite good for you. Well, as long as you cook them in a manner that's good for you. Deep fried is deep fried, regardless of what it is :)


Have you discovered the Pioneer Woman? I've been using her recipes forever. Every one I have used has been fantastic. Her sweet potato fries were no exception. I was just feeding two, so here are my changes:
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced to your desired thickness
2 T butter
1 clove garlic, minced
Seasoned Salt
Pepper
Chili powder

As per usual, I did not measure the seasoning. A couple shakes of salt, a couple shakes of pepper, and a healthy pinch of chili powder all went into the melted butter and garlic. Also, I love garlic on sweet potatoes so there's a hearty dose in my version. The rest is all per Ree, 15-17 minutes at 450, flipping in the middle. Make them yourself. The frozen bags are easy, I know, but these are so delicious and they're not fried.

I didn't have any sriracha so I made the ketchup version of her sauce. It worked well, especially since I'm pairing them with buffalo chicken.

As much as I love sweet potato fries, the chicken was my favorite part. I am fairly certain that this recipe is in a Weight Watchers cookbook. Somewhere in our numerous moves since being married I lost that cookbook so it was really a guess at how it should go. As far as guesses go, this was a good one.

1 large chicken breast sliced into "fingers" (think human finger size, not restaurant chicken finger size)
2 T butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
~1/4 cup your favorite hot sauce (Frank's Red Hot is our fave)
You can really use as much hot sauce as you want. This was about perfect for one chicken breast. My recommendation is that you add it last so you can see how saucy it will be, you have a little more control that way.

I seasoned my chicken fingers with some cajun seasoning. Just a light coat. Cook your chicken in a frying pan until cooked through. I didn't use any oil or butter for this step. My dad and stepmom got me some pretty awesome pans last Christmas, so it's really not necessary. If you need to, I'd use it sparingly. Once they're cooked through add your butter, let it melt and add the garlic. Then add your hot sauce. Add as much as you desire and mix everything up in your pan. Let it cook a few minutes to heat the sauce well and you're set. So good and so easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment