Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Southwestern Tilapia w/black bean & corn salsa

This year I have again declared that we are going to incorporate more fish in our meals. I said this last year too but I didn't follow through. Hoping to do better this year, I picked up some Tilapia at the grocery store last week. It's been sitting in the freezer ever since. My problem is mostly that I've convinced myself I don't like fish. Probably because my Mom doesn't so we never ate it growing up. And also because I cannot stand the way tuna smells. Gross. I digress. So, the other day I went to a restaurant and decided I'd try Santa Fe Tilapia. It was delicious. It was so good that I decided I'd also try my husbands Mesquite Grilled Salmon. Also delicious. I think the fish aversion may be over. This evening I decided I could recreate my meal on my own. Huge success. Yum.

First, I sprayed a pan with spray oil. I have never cooked fish before so this was all very new. I decided I'd season it like I would if I were using chicken for this instead. I sprinkled it with some Adobo seasoning, added some cilantro, and squeezed half a lime over it. It then went into the oven at 400 degrees for about 13 minutes.

While the fish was cooking, I mixed a can of Rotel (drained) with a can of Black beans (also drained.) I mixed those up and then added some frozen corn until it looked like an even mix. I added about a tablespoon of garlic salt and a handful of chopped cilantro. I put it in the microwave for about 2 minutes (so the corn would thaw.) Then I mixed about 1/4 a cup of ranch dressing with a teaspoon of Emeril's Essence (which is pretty much the best thing on earth, find it at the bottom of this Cajun Jambalaya recipe.)

When the tilapia was finished cooking, I added some dressing to the top.

Then I covered it with the black bean & corn salsa. 

It's wonderful and really easy. My plan is to pair it with a baked potato with salsa and sour cream on top!

No comments:

Post a Comment