Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Crock pot Chicken Vegetable stew

I had no intentions of blogging about tonight's dinner. Then I ate some of it. That's always a pleasant surprise.

When I started dinner this morning I knew we were having chicken and vegetables. I honestly just thought we'd each have a piece of chicken and the vegetables on the side. That's not what happened.

I took three, bone-in chicken thighs with the skin removed and put them in the crock pot. I seasoned them with lots of garlic powder and lemon pepper. By lots I mean I shook each contained until each piece of chicken was pretty well coated. I still used Campbell's condensed soups. I know I shouldn't and that there are replacements, but they're so easy and my husband keeps buying them so I keep using them. I used a can of cream of mushroom soup with this. I just spread it on each piece of chicken

For the vegetables I used three small white potatoes chopped in large chunks, three stalks of celery chopped, and three carrots chopped. Everything was kind of chunky chopped, not diced. I dumped each vegetable in their own little spot in the crock pot. I almost took a picture this morning, because the different colors looked so pretty and it would've been a great blog shot, but alas I did not. Once they were in I also decided that onion was necessary. I had some diced and frozen in the fridge so I dumped about a cup in the middle. I took a teaspoon of my homemade vegetable broth mix (I swear I've linked to this recipe in my last 5 posts) and sprinkled it over the veggies and put about 3/4 a cup of water in and turned it on low.

When it was about time to turn the crock pot off (about 8 hours later) I realized that the vegetables I used were really good soup veggies. That's when I decided this was going to be soup of some kind. I scooped out the chicken so I could pull the bones out (they'll shred right up for you). Then I added a cup of frozen corn and a cup of frozen broccoli. The mix was super thick so I also added a cup of chicken broth. Let it cook just a bit longer for the new veggies to thaw and yum. It's so very good. Still pretty thick, hence the stew name, but you could thin it out with more broth. If it didn't have potatoes it'd probably be amazing with some noodles. Try it out!

3 bone-in chicken thighs, no skin
3 small, white potatoes, chunky chopped
3 stalks of celery, chopped
3 carrots, chopped
1 c diced onion
1 c frozen corn
1 c frozen broccoli
3/4 c vegetable broth (made with 1tsp vegetable broth mix + 3/4 c water)
1 c chicken broth
1 can cream of mushroom soup
garlic powder to taste
lemon pepper to taste

Add chicken to slow cooker and season with garlic powder and lemon pepper to taste. Spread cream of mushroom soup to top. Add potatoes, carrots, celery, and onions to top. Add vegetable broth and cover and cook on low for 8 hours.

Scoop out chicken and remove bones. Shred to desired size. Add corn, broccoli, and chicken broth. Allow to cook on high for another 30 minutes, until frozen vegetables are cooked through.

Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment