Friday, February 3, 2012

Avocado Tortilla Soup

Today at work we got a really fancy blender. If the thing wasn't so expensive (upwards of $400), I would buy one. Unfortunately, we don't get to use it on anything but corn. Boo. However, the fancy blender came with a cookbook. I was flipping through it and found this recipe. It looked so easy and delicious I had to come home and try it. I adapted it a little (since my blender isn't as hard core) but essentially it's the same.

1/2 avocado, peeled and pitted
1/2 lime, peeled
~ 1/3 bunch of cilantro, stemmed
1 garlic clove
28 oz can diced tomatoes
2 c chicken stock
1 can black beans
1 c corn


I threw everything except the chicken stock, corn and black beans in my blender and let it go until it looked semi smooth. I was actually surprised at how well it diced everything. I imagine a food processor would also work. Once it was done I transferred it to a big pot with the chicken stock, beans, and corn. I cooked it on medium heat for about 20 minutes (until it started to boil). Once done I smashed some tortilla chips and added them to the bowl. It was delicious. Next time I make it I will try adding chicken and cheese. And sour cream. Mmm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment