Sunday, August 7, 2011

Red Curry Chicken

I LOVE Thai food. LOVE it! I was spoiled while working in Melrose Park, IL by this little restaurant called Sala Thai that had a lunch buffet during the week. My favorite dish was Red Curry Chicken. It was a red curry sauce with chicken and bamboo shoots, which I ate over rice. Didn't really matter if it was fried rice or steamed, it's good over both! I found this lovely premade sauce at Kroger and Bamboo Shoots as well (since I'd honestly have no idea where to begin to look for those!)

The first thing I did was season the chicken. I found a couple tips online on Thai seasoning since I didn't have a clue where to start. I didn't measure anything but here's what I used: Cilantro, Mint, Garlic powder, Cumin, salt, pepper and ground ginger.

Next I started the rice. If you don't have one of these inventions you need to go buy one right now. They are wonderful. I put the rice and water in, turn it on, and walk away. No worries about it sticking to the pan or drying out. It's fantastic. Plus, whatever I'm making is usually done right around the same time as the right, which is handy.

I sauteed the chicken strips in a couple tablespoons of oil, added the bamboo shoots and sauce. I turned the heat down a little and put a lid on it. I let it simmer for about 10-12 minutes.










Put the rice in a bowl and cover it with the chicken and sauce and you're set. I actually really enjoyed the mint seasoning in this. It really gives it a nice authentic feel, which is pretty awesome since it's a premade sauce :-)

1 comment:

  1. You might try a couple dashes of fish sauce as well. And if you have an asian food store around, you can buy the curry paste and coconut milk usually for a lower cost than the simmer sauce.

    ReplyDelete