Thursday, July 7, 2011

Summer time fun

Grilling might be my favorite thing about summer. I know many grill fanatics will cookout all year round but I am a wimp in the cold and will not do that. We bought our first grill on our first anniversary (insert "Aww" as you will). It's pretty. Call me old fashioned, but if I'm going to cook out I want to do it on charcoal. I love the smokey flavor that infuses into the food. I have plans to experiment with wood chips this summer, I'll let you know how it turns out.
We've actually cooked out several times already this summer. Not everything is blog worthy. I'm sure no one wants to read about the delicious hot dogs we made. I bought some Caribbean Jerk marinade and soaked some chicken quarters in it all day. I let them cook about 15 minutes per side right over the coals to get a crispness started and then moved them to the side to cook for another 45 minutes. If you didn't know, chicken quarters have quite a bit of fat on them and dripping fat over hot charcoal is not smart (unless you like your food on fire!) Needless to say, by the time they were ready they had a sticky glaze on them from the marinade and they were fabulous. Moist on the inside but crispy on the outside. Try it!

My favorite thing on the grill is steaks. Obviously, you have to have a good cut or you'll end up with a tough piece of meat that's no good. What I like to do is rub some olive oil into the meat and season with a Montreal steak seasoning. I generally just buy McCormick's seasoning but it's relatively easy to make on your own. The key to a good steak is how it's cooked. I like my steak pink still. Josiah prefers his mostly done but a little pink is okay. The lovely things about cooking on the grill is you can custom cook food with very little hassle! My rule of thumb is that the steaks only get flipped once. I put them on for 4-5 minutes on one side and flip them over and repeat. That gets me a perfect brown on the outside and a beautiful pink on the inside. These steaks were melt in your mouth good. I also chopped some potatoes and an onion. I mixed those up and separated them out into foil. I seasoned with seasoned salt and pepper and put a dollop of butter in each one. Close up the foil and stick them right over the coals. Depending on your fire, the potatoes should be finished after about 30 minutes. Have I mentioned I love summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment