Saturday, September 3, 2011

Smoked Ribs!

Today I made ribs on the grill for the very first time. They looked beautiful. Of course, I do nothing simple. I found a recipe for a Memphis style dry rub and coated both sides of the ribs. Also, this is a full slab of spare ribs, if you're curious about the cut. I used a couple tablespoons of oil and rubbed everything in well. I let them sit in the fridge for an hour.

While the ribs marinaded, I got the grill set up. The grill was set up for indirect heat because the best way to cook ribs is slow roasted. I also got some hickory wood chips. Once the coals were lit I let the grill sit and build some heat. Everything I read about cooking ribs said you want to get them cooking at about 225 degrees. I even found a website that explains how to calibrate your grill to determine how much heat you get with the amount of coals you have and whether one side cooks hotter than the other...I didn't do any of that. I put the coals on and let it sit until the coals were white. I added some hickory wood chips and put the ribs on. I added a pan of water to the coal side to keep moisture in while cooking. The only time I opened the grill was to add more water to the pan. I let them cook 5 hours. Another thing I read was that your ribs are done when you pick them up and the bark (the black, crispy coating) cracks. I'm not really a rib connoisseur so I really don't know how they compared. I liked them though. I thought the flavor was good and they were really moist. I only coated them with a thin layer of BBQ sauce. Probably wouldn't hurt to add some more as I personally think BBQ sauce makes just about everything better.

1 comment: