Saturday, March 28, 2015

Pesto & Provolone Stuffed Pork chops

I've been gone for about 2 weeks and after a week of sleep (because really, who sleeps on vacation?) I'm ready to jump back in the kitchen for some creative cooking.

I was grocery shopping today, restocking my fresh vegetables and fruit, and decided to heed my sisters advice to recreate the delicious sandwich we were served on our flight home. It required pesto. I teetered a few minutes on whether I really felt like making my own pesto or just succumbing to the jar on the shelf. If my basil plant had survived the winter this wouldn't have taken a second thought, alas it did not so I came home with the jar. I wanted to do something different tonight for dinner and decided I might as well use the lovely jar of pesto for something other than ham sandwiches.

I took some pork chops out yesterday to cook. I always seem to remember to take something out of the freezer on nights when I am not going to be home to cook. Funny how that works, isn't it? Anyway, pork chops were on the menu tonight and I came home with provolone cheese and decided stuffed pork chops it would be.

Most people use a thick cut chop when doing a stuffing, I had thin so that's what I worked with. I kind of like them this way, you really get to taste the yumminess inside. I use a paring knife to cut a pouch into the chop. I would estimate about an inch slit to start and then I hollow out the middle. I poured a tsp of pesto into each chop and then stuffed a slice of folded provolone inside.

I didn't do much to the outside, just a little seasoned salt and pepper. Cook them about 5 minutes on each side. The cheese gets all melty and starts to ooze out. Delicious.

I paired them with potatoes that were seasoned with a french onion soup mix and then roasted, green beans, salad, and homemade wheat crescent rolls. (I feel like I should also point out that the soundtrack for this dinner is "I'm so Fancy"...yes, I sang it several times while cooking tonight.)

4 thin cut pork chops
4 tsp pesto
4 slices provolone cheese
seasoned salt
pepper

Cut a pouch into the pork chop, pour in a tsp of pesto, stuff in the cheese. Cook 5 minutes on each side. So quick, so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment